|“||O ancient darkness...primordial flame, what is it that lies...within your eyes? O bright light that splits the Heavens, rumbling tremors that shake the Earth, what pulse beats...withing your ears? Man walks adrift, a vessel of the Earth. I dance for thee, O God of Lightning! Ah...Ryokusui...Let blood boil over!||”|
—Kyou Kai's Dance Pray, Chapter 621: Caller
Kyou Kai is a 5000-Man Commander and a lieutenant in the Hi Shin Army, in which she considers herself, and her unit, bound to. Kyou Kai is also a former member of the legendary assassin Clan Shiyuu. She left the clan when she was 13 years old since she was determined to avenge the death of her older sister, Kyou Shou, who was killed by Yuu Ren in the Clan Shiyuu's ritual. After defeating and killing Yuu Ren and attainting her revenge, she has since dedicated herself to becoming a Great General of Qin.
Kyou Kai is a relatively short petite girl with large jade green eyes with shoulder-length hair tied into a ponytail with a ribbon. Two strands hair fall on each side of her face with her bangs reaching eye level. By the start of the Tonryuu Rebellion, her hairstyle receives subtle changes, Two thick strands of hair overlap her headband.
In terms of clothing, she wears a scarf and a white headband with two red markings. She dons red and white clothing with sleeves longer than her arm. Her sword is very exquisite as it has a decorated hilt with some gold at the base. Many people, including Shin and Ka Ryo Ten, have noted that she has a surprisingly pretty face.
She has a quiet personality, saying little unless she is giving advice. Others who have seen her inhuman talent with the sword have called her a monster as she cuts down her opponents with ease. She has grown warmer towards her comrades following the completion of her quest to avenge her sister. Kyou Kai holds disdain for those who are clueless of the Shiyuu.
- Revenge for her sister (achieved in Chapter 363)
- Becoming a Great General.
- Have children with Ri Shin (?, After finding out how babies are made.)
|Strength||96 + extra large α|
|Tends to be quite unreasonable|
|Strength||96 + extra large α|
|Hidden phrase: I'm starving|
|Strength||95 + large α|
|I dance cool lines with Ryokusui|
|Strength||94 + large α|
|Endurance: somewhat lacking|
Kyou Kai was noted to be a commander with the same qualities as Six Great Generals. She is a prodigy assassin even among the legendary Shiyuu Clan and was the one to likely obtain the Shiyuu seat if she took part in the ritual.
Master Swordswoman: Kyou Kai is a dangerously fearsome master swordswoman whose skill was said to be "beyond human". She is strong enough to kill multiple opponents with a single move, splitting them in half and was shown to take down masses of enemies on the battlefield. Despite this, she exhibits total control over her strength as she skillfully cuts Shin's clothes intentionally during their fight without causing him to bleed and knocks him down with a heavy stroke. This shows the clear skill difference as Shin is bigger than her yet she can deliver powerful attacks that are at odds with her size. Furthermore, she continued to prove her superiority over Shin in numerous sparing matches. She also believed to be capable of slaying general Gyou’un in a ground fight.
- The Mist Technique: a special move tought in a Kyou Tribe where the user delivers a barrage of slashes from different angles to overwhelm her opponent. Kyou Kai was the person that tought this attack to Shiki.
Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Along with her powerful swordsmanship, Kyou Kai is proficient in unarmed combat. Demonstrating her skills when she crippled two thugs for their food during her journey for vengeance and frequently disciplines Ri Shin with punches to the face whenever the need arises. She is also good enough in hand to hand to teach Kou and other soldiers joint locks.
Immense Agility: She shows tremendous agility and balance by effortlessly dodging enemy attacks and balancing her entire body on Ri Shin's blade . Her speed is so such vast that she can kill people before they even notice that they had been struck. She was also shown to keep up and even outpace powerful opponents like Yuu Ren and Hou Ken.
Immense Strength: Despite her frail looks, Kyou Kai is actually a walking powerhouse as she can cut multiple grown men in half with a single swing of her sword. She could also easily pierce through Kakuriki Clan's layer of hardened chi that was said to be impervious to all forms of blades. And during the Hi Shin Unit's strength competition tournament, she was able to defeat Shin in arm wrestling making her physically the strongest member of the entire unit.
Enhanced Healing Rate: Similarly to Ri Shin, Kyou Kai was noted to have a superhuman healing rate. After being seriously wounded by Ryuu Tou and falling several meters to the ground she was able to recover fast enough to be back on the battlefield the next day, despite only having basic medical treatment (although it was noted that the wound didn't heal completely) .
Chi Manipulation: Thanks to a lifetime of Shiyuu training, she displays accurate breath control that allows her to manipulate her Chi for a variety effects like enhancing her physical abilities Her weakness is her short stamina as seen in the assassination attempt and the Battle at Dakan Plains. Opponents that can survive until she runs out of breath can quickly turn the fight in their favor so fighting alongside comrades can give some protection if this were to happen. Kyou Kai can somewhat compensate for it with short breaks on the battlefield, during which she is guarded by her personal soldiers. She can also manipulate Chi of other people for medical purposes as shown when she helped to calm down Shin's fever after their fight.
- Life Sharing Technique: by enchanting a special song Kyou Kai can open her Chi pathway, connect it to another person, and share her life energy as shown when she brought Shin back to life. By offering half of the users' lifespan the technique will give a one in two chance of reviving a person who just died. Reviving a person who is already deep within the world of darkness will give one in ten chance under the same circumstances. After using it on Shin, Kyou Kai's lifespan has been shortened and thus she is incapable of using it the second time. It was also noted that some of her other techniques became much weaker or no longer possible to use.
- Chi Sense: Kyou Kai demonstrated the ability to sense the appearance of enemies such as Hou Ken and even to determine the nature of their Chi. The exact mechanics of this ability remain unknown.
- Priestess Dance: Noted by the elders of the Shiyuu Clan to be the most talented practitioner of the Priestess Dance of her generation, Kyou Kai has demonstrated the mastery over the Shiyuu techniques on multiple occasions. Before challenging Yuu Ren, she single-handedly slew multiple highly skilled Shiyuu assassins who were also using the Priestess Dance, proving her vastly superior mastery of the same technique. During her battle with Yuu Ren, she showed the ability to use a different form of the Priestess Dance by using her worldly attachments (her bond with the HSU) in order to anchor herself to the world and come back from even the deepest depths of the dance. This allowed her to break the "Hakuryou/Soul Territory" Taboo without dying. Doing so enabled her to reach a level that surpassed even Yuu Ren who has completed the Shiyuu ritual. When Kyou Kai uses her Priestess Dance, the movements around her start getting slower and slower, until, at the very end, when even the flying insects are completely still.
Master Assassin: As the prodigy of the strongest assassin clan in China, Kyou Kai received strict training in the art of assassination. Kyo Kai's ability to hide her presence is such advanced that she can even sneak behind assassins from other clans and break into various highly secured places such as Ryuu Tou's base camp.
- Sound Muffling Technique: A special assassination technique used to hide the sound of one's footsteps.
Master Healer: As a member of Shiyuu Clan, Kyou Kai received education in medical techniques and herbs. She is capable of producing a special medicine that can speed up the healing process. The medicine was shown to heal even very serious injuries when used on Shin and Ou Hon.
Kyou Kai is naturally talented at strategy and can easily think up of solutions to battlefield problems despite never having any formal training. As such, she was the primary strategist of the Hi Shin Unit prior to Ka Ryo Ten's arrival. She was even able to invent her own unique anti-cavalry tactic known as Gouriki. During the Sanyou Campaign, Kyou Kai was the first person to figure out Gen Pou's sound communication and created a plan to interfere with it by making similar sounds. During Gyou Campaign she was also the first person to comprehend the purpose behind Ou Sen's "Locusts" strategy. When pressured by Gyou'un Army she set up two anchor points on the sides in order to funnel the enemy straight down the middle and push them back in one swoop with infantry. This allowed her to hold the position and prevent a large portion of the Hi Shin Unit from being wiped out.
- vs. Shin: Interrupted
- vs. Clan Gouma: Won
- vs. Hou Ken: Lost
- vs. Yuu Ren: Won
- vs. Ryuu Tou: Drew
- vs. Ryuu Tou Round 2: Won
- vs. Hou Ken Round 2: Lost
- vs. Kyou Rei: Interrupted
- Like Yo Tan Wa and many other female characters, Kyo Kai was most likely historically a man. Qiang Lei was a Qin general tasked to defeat Zhao alongside Yang Duan He and Huan Ji.
Yōko Hikasa, the Japanese voice of Kyou Kai, has voiced the likes of Sakura Sakurakōji, a major character of the Code:Breaker series in its 2012 anime adaptation and Farnese, a former enemy turned alley in the 2016 anime adaptation of Berserk.
- Prior to returning to the Hi Shin Unit, she was falsely taught by Kyou Shou that babies are created when a man and a woman team up, climb a mountain, and make something explode. After announcing her intentions to Shin and Hi Shin Unit, Ka Ryo Ten took her off to explain how babies are really made. Afterward, she wasn't able to face Shin for a while.
- The updated guidebook released after her battle with Yuu Ren added +特大α to her STR stat which is distinct from the +大α of Yuu Ren and Kyou Shou. This may indicate that her Priestess Dance has improved compared to before. (大 means large and 特大 means extra large)
- According to Chapter 462, Kyou Kai has a super-fast regeneration rate like Ri Shin.
- Chapter 550 Page 12
- Chapter 358 Page 6
- Chapter 452 Page 11
- Chapter 584 Page 6
- Chapter 668 Page 6-8
- Chapter 667 Page 8
- Volume 28 Omake
- Chapter 87 Page 18
- Chapter 549 Page 5
- Chapter 469 Page 17
- Chapter 85 Page 10
- Volume 19 Omake
- Chapter 462 Page 10
- Chapter 470 Page 5
- Volume 19 Omake.
- Chapter 549 Page 6
- Chapter 92 Page 12
- Chapter 630 Page 16
- Chapter 630 Page 17
- Chapter 632 Page 10
- Chapter 137 Page 17
- Chapter 141 Page 9
- Chapter 359 Page 10
- Chapter 83 Page 7
- Chapter 452 Page 8
- Chapter 665 Page 11
- Chapter 223 Page 8
- Chapter 548 Page 17
- Chapter 548 Page 20
- Chapter 208 Page 6
- Chapter 515 Page 16
- Chapter 548 Page 14-15